- Very playable course with obvious focus on fairway sculpting and green design
- Course has unique minimalistic feel due to barrenness outside the holes and minimal planting on the holes
- Challenging yet fair pin placements makes the player plan shots and putts
- Par 5's were too long - Couldn't reach any in two with minimal wind during test
- Fairway endings consistent around 300-320yds, then hit across rough to another fairway or green - Rinse and repeat formula used too often
- 5th hole seems out of place v. the rest of the holes - The large bunker dividing the left side v. right side cuts into the fairway awkwardly
Due to the setting of the plot in a barren desert wasteland, the course really focuses the golfer on the playability of the course. Every green and shots feels a little unique, and creates a fair and fun golfing experience. Maybe it was the lack of water to drink as the sun beat down on me...but the back nine and last holes just seemed to get longer and longer...like I'd never make it back to the clubhouse. I kept looking for a nice short par3, or a par5 where I could put the ball on the green in two shots, but they never came. I tried to jump into the lake on 18th to cool off, but it turned out to be a mirage, and all I got a face full of sand. I enjoyed my overall experience and will return to play again, but probably not a course to buy a membership at.
|2015||Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship||European||Scott Doyley|
Other Courses by Chris Lane
|Old High Hensley||Boreal||72|
|Elmsley Island Tour||Links||72|
|Old High Hensley Tour||Boreal||72|
|Choc Bay - Terrace Course||Tropical||72|
|Big Shanty Station G.C.||Harvest||72|
Every tee shot has a sameness to it... squeeze drive into this landing zone which runs out if you get downwind then have a long forced carry over nothingness.Reviewed by: Bill Rader on 12/28/2014
The bunkers are nice, the greens are shaped well but seem to have tons of break early then go pretty flat on the back 9. I'd like to see a bit more consistency to them honestly.
#5 should be deleted and redone... it doesn't make any sense and wouldn't exist in real life in my opinion.
the par 3's are well done and the par 5's albeit a tad long are ok. A bit more variety would have been nice to be honest.
I'd like to see more holes have fairway farther towards the green... if you miss by 3 yards it can be a 1 shot penalty because you have to flop it to the fairway to have 180 + left to a par 4.
Reviewed by: Ligna Petrus on 12/29/2014